Sulkowski Dukes’ Castle
The castle overlooking the centre of Bielsko-Biała is the oldest and the largest building located within the area of the historical city of Bielsko.
Its oldest parts come from the 14th century followed by years of its gradual expansion and further development. This is a city castle which from the beginning formed part of the fortifications of Bielsko, simultaneously constituting the strongest element of its stockade. For centuries it functioned as a Silesian border fortalice. Starting from the end of the 16th century, the defensive function of the castle gradually diminished while the castle itself was changing more and more into a noble residence. The contemporary look of the building is a result of the last large reconstruction works from the second half of the 19th century which effaced the old features of its old style.
The castle itself and its numerous properties located in the vicinity of the city remained in the hands of the Sułkowski family until 1945. After the Second World War, the castle was taken over by the State and was used as a seat of many cultural institutions, including the Museum. Since 1983, it has been used exclusively by the Museum which is the Cultural Institution of the Silesian Local Government.