The Museum is located in Żywieckie Przedmieście, a district of Bielsko-Biała, in the buildings of a former manufactory. In 1887, a broadcloth and woollen factory was established there by a clothier from Bielsko, Karol Büttner.
The Museum of Textile Technology was founded in 1979 as a branch of the Regional Museum of Bielsko-Biała. It took over the exhibits connected with the weaving craft from the main institution and later enriched its collection with machines and tools obtained mainly from local factories.
The first part of the exposition on the ground floor was opened to the public on 2nd December 1996, followed by the opening of the exhibition on the first floor a year later. In 2010, the vast loft was put into use and from that moment on it has hosted temporary exhibitions (Factory Gallery). In 2011-2012, the other exposition rooms underwent renovation. In the meantime, part of the ground floor was also refurbished to hold a permanent historical exhibition, created from scratch between 2013 and 2015: “The Industry of Bielsko-Biała in the 19th and 20th centuries: from weaving to the Fiat 126p”. Since the end of 2013, the Museum has been named Old Factory.