Budatín Castle – chapel
The Budatín castle chapel dates back to the 18th century, when it was built as part of the extension of the castle, on the hill formed by the original embankment of the fortress on the northern side of the western wing of the Baroque palace, as the former chapel from 1666 did not fulfil the needs of the Sunnegh family.
The Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was consecrated in 1745. The relics of Saint Fidelis and Saint John of Nepomuk were placed on the stone altar. The interior of the 18th-century chapel preserved its Baroque character.
The chapel has not been used since World War II, and from the 1960s to 2003 it served the needs of the district state archive.
The recent research has shown that the architecture of the chapel has not changed much until today. Its interior is formed by the main nave, which has no specially separated presbytery, so the space around the altar is reserved to the clergy only. There is also a choir gallery. The chapel is crowned by three arch-based barrel vaults. Some fragments of paint still remain on the walls. They include the illusory remnants of the architectural frame of the altar painting, the protective paint on the walls, and grey and brown stripes on the vaults. The contours of lunettes were accentuated by wide stripes with a spiral decoration.