• Visitors can get to the island by a ship called OG-SLANICA, which circulates from the port no. 2 in Slanická Osada during the summer season from 15th May to 15th September.

    Slanica Island of art

      Permanent exhibitions of traditional folk art from the Orava Gallery collections have been located in the beautiful natural scenery of Slanica Island of Art, in the centre of the Orava Dam. Out of the five villages that disappeared forever below the surface of the water of the dam in 1953, only a low hill was preserved with a baroque church and a calvary, which once was the dominating feature of the village of Slanica.

  • In 1846, Franz Liszt gave a concert in the Orangery, and in the 1880s, the famous Wagner performances of the Vienna Opera artists would take place there.


    The building of the Orangery formed a part of the classicist Habsburg palace complex built in 1838. In 1846, Franz Liszt gave a concert in the Orangery, and in the 1880s, the famous Wagner performances of the Vienna Opera artists would take place there.

  • After another fire in 1856, the building was restored by the Popper family and in 1886 it was transformed into the administrative seat of the local court.

    Wedding Palace in Bytča

    The Wedding Palace in Bytča is a part of a famous castle area and is considered as one of the most splendid Renaissance buildings in Central Europe. The palace was built by the Hungarian Palatine György Thurzó, who organised family celebrations there, including the weddings of his daughters.

  • The building was erected in 1888, following the design by the architect Blažej Bulla. Since its beginnings, the rooms of the building (the great hall, the stage, and the dressing rooms) have been used by the Slovak Choir.

    Slovak Chamber Theatre and National House in Martin

    Národný dom is the dominant element of the historical centre of the city of Martin. The representative building was constructed in the 19th century in the Neo-Renaissance style; modern outbuildings were added later on.

  • Like many other Slovak castles, it was probably built in the place of a former fortified fortress, after the Tartar raids in 1241.

    Orava Castle

      The Castle of Orava is considered as one of the greatest tourist attractions in the north of Slovakia. It was built in the form of an “eagle’s nest”, on a rock near the Orava river, above the village of Oravský Podzámok.

  • The results of the research conducted in the library are available through the antique catalogues and through publications disseminated by the cultural and educational institution called Matica slovenská.

    Čaplovič Library – Dolný Kubín

    The Čaplovič Library, considered as one of the most valuable historical scientific libraries in Slovakia, is an independent unit of the Orava Museum of P. O.

  • Inside the lodge, there is also a stylised study of Hviezdoslav, where visitors can have a look at his cape (a sleeveless overcoat fastened at the chest and covering the shoulders), which was a very characteristic element of his attire, and at his manuscr

    Hviezdoslav’s forest lodge in Oravská Polhora

    The forest lodge at the foothills of Babia Hora mountain is situated in the place of an old cottage which used to by visited by the famous Slovak poet, Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav, before it burned down. The building is currently administered by the Orava Museum of P.

  • The remains of the old buildings can also be seen in the rooms of the former chapel.

    Lietava Castle

    The Castle of Lietava is located on a steep ridge between the villages of Lietava and Lietavská Svinná, 635 metres above sea level. It was erected in 1241, probably as an administrative and military centre.

  • In 1972, the Chmúra – Beskyd – Tanečník segment of the railway, the most valuable one from the historical and technical point of view, was granted the status of a monument of cultural heritage of the Slovak Republic.

    Orava forest railway in Oravská Lesná

      The Orava forest railway was built during the First World War in order to transport wood from the forests belonging to the Orava Composessorate. The route of the narrow-gauge railway (760 mm), which was then used only for rail freight transport, ran from Oravská Lesná, via Zákamenné, to the village of Lokca.

  • It was constructed by Consilio Milius on the orders of the contemporary owner of the castle, Balthasar von Promnitz, in the place of the former 15th-century guardhouse with a drawbridge over a moat.

    Gate of the Privileged in Pszczyna

    The Gate of the Privileged, also called “Guard”, was built in 1687 and is the oldest part of the castle complex in Pszczyna, preserved and unchanged in shape until today. It is situated in the south-west part of the market square, where it used to serve as the main passage into the city.

  • Along with the historical English-style landscape garden, covering the area of 156 ha, it forms a park-and-palace complex.

    Pszczyna Castle

    The former nobility seat in Pszczyna (Pless in German) in the Upper Silesia was erected in the 11th or 12th century and has been reconstructed many times ever since. In the Middle Ages it was a property of, among others, the Dukes of Opole and Racibórz, of Opava, and of Cieszyn.

  • The complex consists of: a coach house built in 1864, stables with a saddle room built in 1866-1867, a riding area, whose construction began in 1869, and brick garages for the nine cars.

    Prince’s Stables in Pszczyna

    The Stables of the Prince are situated in the vicinity of Pszczyna Castle and they were first mentioned in the urbarium of Pszczyna in 1629. The complex of stables existing today was built in the 2nd half of the 19th century, in the time of the Hochbergs, according to the design by Olivier Pavelt.

  • Originally, the castle was created as a guard post on the road to Turiec, where toll was collected from the beginning of the 14th century. Its size increased to 165 x 61 m.

    Strečno Castle

    The first settlements on the castle hill date back to the Iron Age. Then, presumably in the times of the early Slavs, the oldest wooden fortress was built.

  • The rich sgraffito ornaments date back to the mid-17th century, when the construction works were completed.

    Divinka Mansion

    The mansion in Divinka was constructed in the 1st quarter of the 17th century, under the rule of Mikuláš Sunnegh. It was described in the sources from 1643 as a two-storey, two-wing building with a bay window on the corner of the south wing, which was the result of the orientation of the façade and the representative character of the building.

  • The folk architecture complex in Čičmany was declared a historical monument in 1977.

  • The chapel has not been used since World War II, and from the 1960s to 2003 it served the needs of the district state archive.

    Budatín Castle – chapel

    The Budatín castle chapel dates back to the 18th century, when it was built as part of the extension of the castle, on the hill formed by the original embankment of the fortress on the northern side of the western wing of the Baroque palace, as the former chapel from 1666 did not fulfil the needs of the Sunnegh family. The Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was consecrated in 1745.

  • The first written mention about the castle, back then called the fortress of Budatín, dates back to 1321, when its owner Matthew III Csák died.

    Budatín Castle (building 1)

    The oldest medieval castle built in the 2nd half of the 13th century in the place where the river of Kysuca flows into the river of Váh. The first written mention about the castle, back then called the fortress of Budatín, dates back to 1321, when its owner Matthew III Csák died.

  • The display consists of dwelling houses and religious objects as well as technical and farm buildings, coming from various parts of Kysuce

    Vychylovka Open-air Museum

    The open-air museum in Vychylovka (the Museum of the Kysuce Village) is a regional ethnographic outdoor exhibition of the Kysuce Museum in Čadca. The foundation stone was laid on 11 October 1974 in the village of Chmúra in Nová Bystrica close to the border with Poland.

  • Visitors are always surprised at the sight of a young mammoth replica.

    The Manor-house in Radola

    The manor house in the municipality of Radoľa is one of the oldest historical objects in the region of Kysuce. It dates back to the 3rd quarter of the 16th century and is an example of a Renaissance farm estate.

  • The tower is 29 m high, its walls are 2 m thick, and there are 120 stairs running up the top

    Piast Tower

    The building, nowadays called the Piast Tower, dates back to the 14th century and is the only entirely preserved defensive tower of the Upper Castle. It was built on a square plan out of split sandstone and stone blocks.

  • During the reconstruction in 1955, the rotunda returned to its original style

    Rotunda of St. Nicholas

    The rotunda in Cieszyn is one of the oldest architectural monuments in Poland. According to folk legend, it was erected in the place of an ancient pagan temple devoted to the Slavic goddess of winter, Morana.

  • Even the Emperor Franz Joseph himself stayed there a couple of times. Franz Liszt, the distinguished Hungarian composer, gave a concert in the orangery

    Habsburg Hunting Palace

    The Habsburg Hunting Palace was built on the initiative of Archduke Charles of Austria, Duke of Cieszyn in 1838-1840. It was built in the classicist style on the ruins of the former Lower Castle.

  • The contemporary look of the building is a result of the last large reconstruction works from the second half of the 19th century which effaced the old features of its old style.

    Sulkowski Dukes’ Castle

    The castle overlooking the centre of Bielsko-Biała is the oldest and the largest building located within the area of the historical city of Bielsko. Its oldest parts come from the 14th century followed by years of its gradual expansion and further development.

  • The Museum of Textile Technology was founded in 1979 as a branch of the Regional Museum of Bielsko-Biała.

    Old Factory

    The Museum is located in Żywieckie Przedmieście, a district of Bielsko-Biała, in the buildings of a former manufactory. In 1887, a broadcloth and woollen factory was established there by a clothier from Bielsko, Karol Büttner.

  • The first permanent exhibition included the artist’s works made using watercolours and oil paints, archives and furniture, painting tools and other memorabilia left after Julian Fałat.

    Julian Fałat’s Museum

    Julian Fałat’s Museum (Fałatówka) is a part of the Historical Museum in Bielsko-Biała. It is located in a villa with a garden where Julian Fałat used to live and paint for nearly twenty years.

  • The main objective of our Ethnographic Park is to protect the cultural legacy of the old inhabitants of the Żywiec Beskids

    The Żywiec Etnographic Park

    The Żywiec Ethnographic Park in Ślemień is an exceptional place, established to preserve the cultural heritage of our ancestors for future generations. This mission has become possible to carry out thanks to the resources received from the European funds and the financial support of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.